Skip to main content Skip to home page

Pipe maintenance responsibilities can be complicated - but this guide isn't!

The property owner is responsible for internal plumbing, septic tanks and pipes within the property boundary. If there's a problem, contact your landlord or plumber.


Water services

Coliban Water maintains water services to the water meter up to 2 metres inside the property boundary of the first accessible isolation valve

Responsibilities for water supply diagram










Sewer services

We look after sewer mains and house connection branches (HCB) up to 1 metre inside the property boundary.

Sewer supply responsibilities diagram










Buildings on the property boundary

Where a residential or commercial building forms part of the property boundary, we maintain and repair:

  • water and sewer pipes up to 1 metre outside the property boundary
  • the stop tap if it's within 2 metres of the property boundary
  • the water meter.


Fire services

Coliban Water isn't responsible for separate fire services such as pipe work and valves. We only maintain and repair:

  • the water meter
  • connection to the fire service
  • general services connected to the fire service up to 2 metres inside the property boundary.

This is a general guide only and there are some exceptions. For more information, contact us.


Inducted Plumber and/or Drain Cleaner Register

These plumbers have completed an induction with us. They can identify and clear a sewer blockage in the House Connection Branch (HCB).

You don't have to choose one of these plumbers. 

If you do choose a plumber that is not on this list and they find an issue in the HCB, they will need to call us to find out if they can charge us for the work.

Based Business
Bendigo Aqua Flush Drains
Bendigo Bendigo and District Plumbing Services
Bendigo Bendigo Plumbing and Gas
Bendigo CC Global Plumbing
Bendigo DLO Plumbing
Bendigo Dunstone Brothers Plumbing and Roofing
Bendigo 2D Plumbing and Gas
Castlemaine Fasom Plumbing
Echuca LA & JA Hearn Plumbing
Echuca O'Brien Plumbing Echuca Moama
Cohuna M&J McGlone Plumbing
Bendigo Phoenix Plumbing
Bendigo Pipe Doctor
Cohuna Reid Plumbing
Bendigo and Castlemaine SJ Plumbing Central Victoria
Bendigo Wild Plumbing


Information for plumbers and drain cleaners

Sewer call-out procedure information pack

Reimbursement claim for sewer works online form


1. The Inducted Plumber and/or Drain Cleaner Register is provided for drain cleaning services only. It is the customers responsibility to ensure that any and all plumbing works undertaken beyond clearing the HCB are completed by a qualified plumber.

2. All information found in the Inducted Plumber and/or Drain Cleaner Register was believed to be correct at the time of inclusion, and is for informational purposes only.

3. Coliban Water does not endorse the above businesses, or accept legal responsibility arising from or connected to the reliability of services provided by the above businesses.

4. Where Coliban Water refers a customer to the Inducted Plumber and/or Drain Cleaner Register it is not a guarantee that a sewer blockage is in Coliban Water’s asset (HCB).

5. Information is provided on the basis that all persons contacting or engaging a business listed in the Inducted Plumber and/or Drain Cleaner Register do so at their own risk.

6. The inclusion of a business name in the Inducted Plumber and/or Drainer Cleaner Register does not indicate that the business is engaged to do work for Coliban Water.

7. The above businesses do not represent Coliban Water in any capacity.

8. The Inducted Plumber and/or Drain Cleaner Register is subject to change at any time.

9. Coliban Water reserves the right to permit, authorise or reject requests to work in the HCB.

If you're still unsure, call us on 1300 363 200.

Last updated on 28 Jul 2023

Related items

Water quality and compliance

Learn More
Back to top