Trading and licence information

Water trade in the Coliban Water Rural System is only available to customers serviced by this network.

This is because water generally travels in a northerly direction and there is no practical means to direct water back to the Coliban Water system once it exits.

The supply of water via our rural water supply system is by licence issued under Section 51 of the Water Act 1989.

Section 51 'take and use' licences can be traded in part or in full, on a permanent or temporary basis.

For more information check our Trade Restrictions page.

Approval is subject to the constraints of the Water Act and the approved local management rules or plans.


> Buying and selling water

Buyers and sellers of licences generally find each other by word of mouth or newspaper advertisements.

In addition to this we maintain a register to help buyers to find interested sellers.

Contact our Customer Support Team on 1300 363 200 for details on how to access the lists of interested sellers.

We report on trades approved on or after 1 July 2014, where Coliban Water is the buyer or seller. The report shows the data required by section 12.38 of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan and is published on the Victiorian Water Register website.

Water trade report on the Victorian Water Register website


> Further information

Rural water licences and application forms
Licence volume transfers
Victorian Water Register

Murray Darling Basin Authority - Basin Plan

Return to Rural System home page.



Home | Privacy | Legal | Protected Disclosure | Accessibility | Site Map | Contact Us |   Copyright © Coliban Water