Building and Developing

> How we can help

We assist land owners and developers to create the assets required to provide water, wastewater and recycled water services for our future customers.

We do this by providing the following services:

> Planning application referrals

Any land owner wishing to subdivide their land requires a Planning Permit from Council. To ensure that all water, wastewater and recycled water aspects are taken into consideration, councils refer Planning Permit applications to Coliban Water.

Our Development Services Team reviews applications and can request councils to place conditions on the Planning Permit. These conditions ensure that the future owners of the land are able to enjoy a high level of water and sewerage services.

Our Land Development Manual provides additional information that may be helpful to understand likely requirements for your development proposal.


> Mains extensions

When a property is not fronted by a water, sewer or recycled water main, the developer has to extend the mains to access our services. The developer must design and construct these assets (mostly mains and sometimes pump stations), using the services of a registered mains extension consultant.

To ensure a high level of service to our customers, all mains extensions are to be designed and constructed in accordance with the National Codes published by the Water Services Association of Australia (WSAA) and our Supplement and addenda (see 'Technical Standards' links).

Our Development Services Team check the designs prepared by consultants and inspects the construction of the new assets to ensure they meet the requirements.

Water main shutdown

A water main shutdown can be requested where an under pressure tapping is not possible. To apply, use our Water Main Shutdown Application form. Charges will apply for all shutdowns as of 4 April 2016. These charges are outlined in our Schedule of Fees & Charges.


> Property connections

When a block of land is fronted by a water, sewer or recycled water main, the owner of the land can apply for Consent to Connect and become a Coliban Water customer.

New Customer Contributions
The Essential Services Commission (ESC) is Victoria’s water industry regulator. The ESC approves standard rates for New Customer Contributions (NCC, also known as developer charges).

NCC are a one-off upfront charge applied to all new connections to either Coliban Water’s water, sewer or recycled water networks. This can be initiated by either a new development, subdivision or application to connect.

They support provision of incremental infrastructure and associated costs and share the costs for growth between new and existing customers.

New developments are paid by the developer during the subdivision process however many existing vacant blocks where fees have not been charged are applied when property owners commence building or further development.

Please refer to our Schedule of Fees and Charges for the current per lot amount for each service.

Development Servicing

Current assets servicing properties proposed for development can be accessed by applying for an Asset Location Request via the Online Forms page.

Your consulting engineer, engaged from our Register of Consultants (PDF), can prepare all of your servicing designs and access site specific requirements from Coliban Water by discussing details of requirements within current augmentation plans.


> Building over assets and easements

Any structure that is constructed on an easement or within one meter of one of our assets will require our consent. This is also known as a ‘Buildover’.


> Useful information

Land Development Manual

Mains extension consultants

Quick connect agents

Water mains disinfection contractors

Water and sewer plans

Assets Map

Augmentation plans

Schedule of Fees and Charges

Asset Location Request Form

> Technical standards

Preferred equipment manufacturers list

WSAA Shop: Codes and Standards

Supplement to the Water Supply Code

Addendum to the Water Supply Code

Addendum to Sewerage Code

Addendum to Sewage Pumping Station Code

Sewer Pump Station Design Principles


> Land Development Update

The Land Development Update is an email newsletter for Mains Extension Consultants and Developers.

Click on the link below to view the update or on the 'Subscribe' button to sign up for future updates.

April 2019

July 2018

June 2018

August 2017

March 2017

November 2016


> Related websites

City of Greater Bendigo
(03) 5434 6000

Campaspe Shire Council
(03) 5481 2200 or 1300 666 535

Central Goldfields Shire Council
(03) 5461 0610

Gannawarra Shire Council
(03) 5450 9333

Loddon Shire Council
(03) 5494 1200 or 1300 365 200

Macedon Ranges Shire Council
(03) 5422 0333

Mitchell Shire Council
(03) 5734 6200

Mount Alexander Shire Council
(03) 5471 1700

Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning: Bushfire Management Overlay

SPEAR (Streamlined Planning through Electronic Applications and Referrals)






Home | Privacy | Legal | Protected Disclosure | Accessibility | Site Map | Contact Us |   Copyright © Coliban Water