Standpipes in our region

Our potable water standpipes are indicated with blue markers and recycled water in lilac.
View Standpipe Locations in a larger map

Please note the Huntly standpipe is experiencing technical difficulties with the on/off function until further notice.

Upgrade works are expected in the coming weeks.

If you experience problems the nearest alternative standpipes are located at:

> Midland Highway (near the old CFA station), Goornong

> Sailors Gully Road (near intersection with Reef Street), Eaglehawk


> Water carter permits

A water carter permit is required to take water from
any public standpipe if the standpipe is in an area under Water Restrictions By-Law No 12.

Our Customer Support Team conduct random audits at standpipes to ensure water is being taken and used appropriately.

All water taken from any standpipe must be used in accordance with our Permanent Water Saving Rules and, any water restrictions in force at the time for the supply system to which the standpipe is connected.

Most standpipes in our region have an overhead hose that will fit inside of a 90mm pipe. This allows water carters to direct water into their tank.

Standpipe factsheet and instructions on using the standpipes and the Avdata access keys


> Hydrant / Fire Plug Access

Hydrants and fire plugs are only permitted to be accessed by the CFA within our region.

Individuals or businesses found to be doing so are in breach of the Water Act 1989 and could face prosecution.


> How much is the water?

Please see our Schedule of Fees and Charges to find out the cost of potable or recycled water from our standpipes.


> Standpipe locations

For a list of standpipe locations in our region, who is responsible for their management and traffic management plans, click on the link above.


> Recycled Water

We have two recycled water standpipes: Avery’s Road, Eaglehawk, and Stanley Street, Spring Gully.

Please contact us for full details of the application process for accessing recycled water standpipes by calling 1300 363 200.

For further information see our Recycled Water page.


> How to apply for a water carter permit

To apply, fill in an application and present it in person at our office in Bridge Street, Bendigo. Alternatively you can send completed forms through via email to or in the post and we will contact you.


> Traffic management plans

We have traffic management plans for all the open standpipes sites managed by us. It is a requirement that these plans are studied prior to entering or using the site.

Please contact the relevant local council for traffic management plans for standpipes that are not managed by Coliban Water.

> Department of Human Services – Food Safety

The Department of Human Services Food Safety Unit has Guidelines for drinking (potable) water transport in Victoria

It is a requirement under the Food Act 1984 that anyone carting water for human consumption or for any purpose connected with human consumption must register with their local council. If you are involved in transporting water for this purpose, please ensure that you meet all of the council's requirements.


> Further information

Keeping drinking water safe (Department of Health)

Private drinking water carters (Department of Health)

Home | Privacy | Legal | Protected Disclosure | Accessibility | Site Map | Contact Us |   Copyright © Coliban Water